Copia is a digital agency with sector-specific expertise in corporate and financial services, producing engaging websites and web applications for the world's leading companies. As part of our ambitious growth plans, we are looking for an experienced WordPress Developer to join our team.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
You’ll be responsible for developing premium WordPress websites using custom-built themes and modern web development tooling for high profile corporate clients. As the WordPress specialist in the production team, you’ll spend most of your time helping gather client requirements then working alongside the rest of the production team delivering website builds for clients start-to-finish. You will also be responsible for developing changes and improvements to existing websites, helping first line support resolve tickets for clients and working with the software team to add advanced functionality to sites.
We are a growing team so initially this role will be fairly multidisciplinary, and you won’t be afraid to help out where you can and get your hands dirty with all production aspects of getting a website from idea to live. As part of our growth plans, there will be lots of opportunities to develop your career long term with Copia.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
We cannot accept candidates without the following as a minimum.
- At least three recent years experience in a similar role
- Extensive experience working with WordPress in an agency or freelance environment (i.e. high volume of different websites)
- Highly proficient in the core fundamentals behind WordPress and how it is structured
- Good understanding of internet technologies (HTTP/DNS etc) and supporting development tools: (SSH, FTP, Git, terminal/bash etc)
We are looking for candidates with the following skills.
- Extremely comfortable building WordPress themes using modern tooling such as Bedrock/Sage
- Good working knowledge of tools such as NPM, Webpack, Yarn or similar
- Whilst this is primarily a front-end developer role, a keen eye for good web design and UX is essential due to subtleties between mockup and reality
Candidates with the following additional skills and experience will be an excellent fit for the role.
- Experience with the challenges associated with hosting WordPress at scale
- Strong understanding of the Roots WP toolkit and ACF Pro
- Knowledge of AWS basics (S3, EC2, Route53)
- Comfortable using Docker for local development
- Experience with other PHP frameworks such as Zend, Symfony
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL:
- Possess excellent technical and non-technical communication skills, and know when to use each depending on who they are talking to
- Have a keen desire to learn and progress and can easily demonstrate past initiative to further their learning
- Strive for continuous improvement and pro-actively find ways of making workflows more efficient
- Enjoy problem solving, debugging and managing challenging technical situations for high profile clients
- Enjoy the collaborative process of requirements gathering and design thinking with other members of the team
- Be happy working independently on a build once the requirements are agreed and take ownership and responsibility of their own work
Under the current government guidelines, all team members are working remotely, however once restrictions ease we will return to flexible working based from our Kent office, currently in Rochester. Please consider this before applying, as this is not a long term 100% remote position. We believe there are great benefits to a face-to-face working environment and post-covid, we will be implementing a hybrid setup where people can choose a blend of what works best for them but we will expect regular weekly on-site collaboration from all members of the team.
- Salary £25-35k DOE + profit-linked bonus scheme
- Relaxed working atmosphere, with regular company lunches (post-covid)
- True flexible working hours and part-remote working (100% remote during covid restrictions)
- Allocated time for R&D projects and opportunities to attend tech events (post-covid)
- Professional development budget for books, certification and learning
- 30 days paid holiday
- BYOD plus £2,500 budget for kit refresh/upgrades
HOW TO APPLY
Please send the following with your application (direct UK applicants only - no recruiters, offshore agencies or freelancers please)
- Your CV or LinkedIn profile
- A link to your GitHub/Stackoverflow accounts if you have these
- Covering note (max 200 words)